I bought 3 large SNACK boxes from Ikea and 2 small ones, then I marked out what bits I wanted cut out of them. The thinking was that the 3 large boxes could be stacked on top of one another with cat-sized holes cut out the bottoms allowing a cat to go in the bottom box, then climb up to the top. I also wanted some peep holes facing the window so Lily could spy. I got 2 small boxes so I could turn one into a bed at the very top and .... I'm not sure why I got 2, maybe a spare?
After I'd marked out the cuts I wanted, a quick trip to B&Q to get a hole saw drill bit and we were ready to start cutting. I say 'we', I mean Pete. He spent a joyous couple of hours cutting wood with power tools (he loved it), then I sanded all the peices before putting it all together. Then I added 2 coats of clear varnish to the outside and it was all done, total time 1 day.
Lily is not so impressed, last night when I errected it she sniffed it then went back to bed. This morning I plonked her in the bed at the top and she stared at me before leaping out. Granted she did leap back onto the bed from the sofa, completely ignoring the complex box-hole structure.
I've screwed on two scratching panels so she can scratch away and they also lend more support to the boxes. The boxes themselves have little feet which fit inside the box below it so they are quite sturdy.
I'm also going to add either cardboard or carpet tiles on the top and bottom box. At the moment she has a cardboard box which she loves scratching in, I'm hoping that the cat tree will replace the box so I need to give her an alternative.
No comments:
Post a Comment