Wednesday, 7 January 2009

Projects, projects, projects ...

Something's happened to me, I've been bitten by the DIY bug and Pete is fuelling it! Suddenly I've decided to take on 2 DIY projects which will actually mean I'll have to stay commited and finish something.

Project 1 - Ikea Jewellery Box
I saw this, it's basically two or three drawer stacks stuck together, stained and lined. I have loads of jewellery but never wear any of it as I can never find it. I have 2 jewellery boxes at the moment but most of my stuff is scattered around the house in drawers, on shelves, in handbags etc. So I'm thinking, create it without the legs and stick it on my chest of drawers so I can have everything in one place and actually start wearing it.

Project 2 - Cat Stack
This one is slightly more ambitious, I saw this on Amazon. I bought Lily, my cat, a huge climbing tree last year. It was an ugly, carpet covered, 7 foot monstrosity which dominated my lounge but she loved sitting right at the top and spying on people from the window. I took it down after I bought some bookcases thinking that she could sit on top of those, but they aren't near the window and she never climbs them. She does, however, still love being picked up and held so she can see out of the window.

So, I started thinking about investing in another climbing thing but the decent ones are all American and cost a fortune, the one above is £175. I showed it to Pete, who optimistically said "we could make that, it's just wooden boxes". Thus started the wood versus furniture board laminate, normal corners versus angled ones, paint versus wood stain versus fabric coverings discussions, even adding removeable lids so the whole thing can be stored neatly.

After a few drawings and a cardboard model (go me!) I think I know how to do it. I need to cost up the material and decide on paint/wood stain etc and see if it's cheaper to buy the stupid thing from America than spend endless weekends making it. I'm actually quite looking forwards to it, it would be nicer to wait for nicer weather so I can make it outside, but it will probably take me that long to get my arse in gear and organise it.

I'll start with the Ikea one, which we're going to on my Birthday (special treat) and see how I get on with that.

No comments: