Saturday, 25 October 2008

Getting Fit?

I've started trying to get fit. After being a member of Pulse 8 for almost a year and only managing to get there a couple of times a week with no real effect, I'm making a conscious effort to change my lifestyle for the better.

I've got a new gym routine and asked the instructor to make it quite challenging otherwise I'll get bored. I've been following it for a week now (been 4 times) and I can definately notice the difference already. Some of the machines are getting easier, for example, I do 15 minutes uphill walking at quite a brisk pace of 6kmph, today I managed to keep it at 6kmph for almost 9 minutes. My aim is to do the full 15 minutes by the end of next week as that's when I have to add to the incline and the speed.

My motivation? It's a combination of getting older and realising that being fit would be quite beneficial. I've started to notice the odd creak which is freaking me out as I didn't think I was that old (only 30). Also, it's a shift from the perpetual diet I seem to be on. Instead of watching what I eat and getting huge guilt trips when I fall off the dieting wagon, I'm trying to eat sensibly but my focus is now on fitness and not reducing my ass size. I'm hoping that that will be a side-effect but it's not the be all and end all. I've been a curvy lady for most of my adult life and I've finally worked out that I should accept it and enjoy it instead of wasting years planning for when I'm a size 10 (so not ever going to happen). Also, my lovely boyfriend Pete is a kind of fitness freak and started training seriously when he was 30, 2 years later he's very fit and actually enjoys knackering himself.

I'll keep you posted on my progress.

No comments: