Thursday, 7 August 2008

Lily

Lily is my cat, I picked her up from the Cats Protection League in December 2007. As she's a rescue cat no one knows her real age, but I was told she was about 1 year old when I got her. She was found as a pregnant stray and CP found homes for all her kittens.

Lily has a huge personality, I thought cats were just selfish, arrogant things, which liked you when they wanted feeding and ignored you the rest of the time. That's true some of the time, but the rest of the time she's lovely.

Lily spends most of her day sleeping in her hammock. When I first got her I went mad a bought lots of cat-related stuff which I've never used and mostly don't like, one of these purchases is the cat tree. It's a huge 6 foot thing with scratching posts and 3 different levels including one cubby hole and a hammock at the top. The whole thing is very unstable and rocks everytime Lily moves but she seems to like it. As it's the only place she sleeps (the highest point in my flat she can access) I feel mean putting it away without replacing it with another sleeping place. So I bought some book cases from Ikea and a new wall hammock and plan on setting her up in that using shelves as stairs so she can get up to it. Am I obsessed? Probably.

5 things you should know about Lily:

1. Lily wakes me up every morning by running upstairs as soon as my alarm goes off and sitting on my chest staring at me until I move.


2. Lily is a complete attention whore, she is a regular at the pub next door. I often get talking to people in the carpark when Lily greets me, "Oh she's your cat, she's in the pub all the time". I'm just waiting for her to start coming home drunk with her new mates and have a party while I'm out.

3. Every time Lily comes in from outside, she sits and stares at me until I acknowledge her. If I'm not quick enough, she meows at me and will eventually jump on top of me to get my attention. I often ignore her on purpose to see who can win this battle of wits - I lose ALL the time.

4. Lily is quite shy with new people in the flat, unless they have dangly laces or straps. The first time my boyfriend came round she got very excited by the straps on his rucksack.

5. If Lily decides to sleep on my bed at night, she will sleep in the middle or in the most obstructive place she can, just to prove she can.

No comments: