Monday, 11 May 2009

Pig racing, lots of dogs and some knitting

I went pig racing on Friday with a friend from circle, I had no idea what the expect. We arrived half way through the second race (of six), lots of people were crowded round a table on which 5 fluffy, oinking pigs were slowly making their way across. The basic premise is that at the start of each race you can buy the pig (for £3) and get a share of the winnings if it comes first, or you can bet on one or several pigs (£1 a go) and get back around £2.50 if it wins. I placed 5 bets and won on 2 of them. There was also a raffle which I won 2 prizes in and a 'name the pig' game which I didn't win, even though my preferred name of 'Peter' was an excellent choice. It was a really good evening hosted by Junior Chamber which is an organisation like circle but for men and women and more business orientated.

I'm learning to knit. Well, I say learning, I actually mean re-learning as my Mum taught me to knit when I was young. I've decided to practise by making squares, then building them into something, so mostly blankets. I bought some lovely raspberry coloured wool and made a start at Pete's house on Saturday, I thought I could spend an evening making one square a week and pretty soon I'd have a decent sized blanket. Well, that was the plan. Having to take a break every 3 rows cos your fingers ache, slightly marred my progress. I spent most of Saturday and Sunday knitting (or taking breaks from knitting) and have managed a grand total of 25 rows ... that's half a square ... in 2 days.

In one of my many break from knitting, Pete and I went to Burghfield Fair. It was full of doggies! They had two large roped off areas where they were constantly having dog shows (waggiest tail, cutest bitch, handsomest dog etc), agility courses and dog tricks. It seemed everyone had brought a dog and there were so many springer spaniels (which is the dog Pete wants). There was also a hog roast which looked delicious but had a huge queue and lots of other stalls with tombolas and crafts. It was gorgeous weather and a very relaxing way to spend the afternoon. Plus we made it back in time for the Spanish F1 which Pete was so looking forwards to that he slept through most of it.

No comments: